My favorite way to preserve basil is homemade pesto. Just straight up ingredients : basil, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and Parmesan cheese.
Pesto is so easy to make. I have linked to the youtube video (quick and informal , no fancy shots or equipment ) to show you how easy it is.Jump to Recipe
- 3 tablespoons chopped garlic or 9 cloves
- 5 cups fresh basil leaves , packed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a food processor, chop the garlic until fine. Add the basil leaves, salt, and pepper, with the processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube and process until finely puréed. Add the Parmesan and process 30 seconds more. Serve or store in the freezer in 250ml jars ( makes 5) with a thin film of olive oil on top. Store in the fridge once opened.
Once made, I store mine in the freezer, and haul out a jar whenever needed. I store in the fridge once opened and add to stews, sauces and pasta. I absolutely adore it added to grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches and pizza as well. I can’t tell you how much I enjoy fresh pesto.
I hope you all enjoy it as well.
Remember to check out the video, Here and subscribe to our channel. Check out Our website for loads more preservation tips , and keep updated on the farm on our Farm page or follow us on Instagram Here. Loads of ways we can keep in touch. Let’s try to keep our lives simple together my friends❤️
- 5 cups fresh packed basil
- 9 cloves garlic cloves
- 1 1/2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
- In a food processor or blender, chop the garlic until fine. Add half the basil leaves, salt and pepper, and pulse. Add remaining basil, and while processor is running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube and process until finely pureed.
- Add the parmesan cheese and process 30 seconds more.
- Serve with pasta, or add to soups, or sauces. Refrigerate or freeze for storage. Not suitable for waterbath canning.