Quick, easy ……and even my pickiest eaters like all or parts of this. Is anyone else’s house like this ??
This is an old twist on a recipe in a Pampered Chef book I have. It’s not online and the cookbook is falling apart. The burritos fall apart too , so here we are. All falling apart heh heh .
It gets to the table in 30 minutes with the help of packaged Mexican rice. Now disclaimer : I am not a packaged food fan but I use Dainty Mexican Rice and I can pronounce all the ingredients.
Here’s my version:
Steak Fajita Burritos
- 1 pkg uncooked Mexican Rice
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb of flank steak
- 2 Tbsp Tex Mex Seasoning (1 Tbsp chilli powder, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1/4 onion powder, 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp oregano 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp sea salt, 1 tsp black pepper )
- 1 med red peppers, cut into strips
- 1/2 med red onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 10inch flour tortillas
1. Cook rice according to the directions. Set aside.
2. Cut steak into 1 inch thick strips. Mix steak and rub in bowl.
3. Heat 2 Tbsp olive oil in a cast iron skillet over med heat for 1 minute. Add steak, cook 4-5 minutes.
4. Add peppers, and onions to skillet. Cook 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic and stir.
5. Assemble burritos : sprinkle cheese down the center of the tortilla, top with 1/3 of the rice, and 1/3 of the steak mix, and 1/3 of the sour cream. Fold in the ends of the tortilla and roll up tightly. Cut burritos in half.
I hope you enjoy these as much as we all do. Pro tip : with the leftover steak , we make steak and egg wraps the next morning. We can never have enough good food on hand for hungry farm kids !