BEET RELISH PICKLE
Okay so I need to give credit for this recipe to a lady I worked with years ago in healthcare. She introduced me to it and I couldn’t get enough of it- my oldest son’s favorite too.
She always said the best recipes are the ones you pass on -so here you go and please enjoy it and share as well.
With loads of love from Susan and I.
Beet Relish Pickle
- water bath canner
- 2 pounds fresh beets
- 4 tart medium apples peeled, cores removed and diced (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Wrap beets individually with aluminum foil. Place on baking sheet and roast beets for 1 1/2 hours, until tender. Let stand until cool, then peel and chop roughly.
- Prepare water bath canning supplies as per NCHPF guidelines.
- In a large pot, mix sugar and vinegar, ginger, mustard and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add beets, apples, and onions bring to a boil . Reduce heat to medium and simmer for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally, and when liquid is almost all evaporated, turn off.
- Pour into sterilized jars, and water bath can for 15 minutes. Take lid off canner and let jars rest in canner for 5 minutes before removing. Remove jars and let sit 24 hours before storing.