We love this quick but different take on ground beef or venison ( or any ground meat), I find the flavor is best suited to a hearty meat.
We make homemade hamburger buns to serve the mixture over generously. I use the King Arthur Flour recipe and double it to freeze to have extra buns for subs and sandwiches through the week .
This is best served with homemade fries on the side or mashed squash, or broccoli and cheese. It’s a delicious Saturday night supper.
I forgo the “e” on the traditional spelling of Joe, to give my little sister Jo her own little recipe here. Sorry for calling you sloppy, sis.
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion or 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 2/3 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- In large frying pan or dutch oven, brown ground beef and onion.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all other ingredients listed, and add to pan, mixing well.
- Simmer 35 minutes over low heat, uncovered, stirring often, adding a bit more crushed tomatoes if needed.
- Serve over dense hamburger bun bottom or bread.