I garden a lot by instinct. But I reckon everyone, including me, should up their game with some intention this year. A few weeks ago, I published a blog post called “There is no Plan B”. So that’s what we are doing: planning, organizing and doing a fair bit of dreaming but with intention.
Now the rubber hits the road.
So here is what we are planning to plant for annual vegetables in our home garden this year. Remember we are in zone 6a here on the very southwest tip of Nova Scotia: loads of humidity, wind, and it’s never really hot here.
I just love it. (Truly!)
Legend :V -Veseys; R-Revival Seeds; BC-Bakers Creek; HS-Halifax Seeds; S-Self seeded/saved
Asparagus- 3 year old crowns were planted last year after our farm reno , so I only list these because I’m anxiously awaiting them. I purchased those from L’Ouest Perennials in West Pubnico.
- Baking-Jacobs Cattle, Red kidney (V)
- Pole- Scarlet Runner (V) , Sunset Runner (BC)
- Bush – Gold Rush (V), Royal Burgundy (V), Dragons Tongue (BC), Early Provider (V)
- Golden (BC), Detroit Red (V), Chioggia (V)
- Chinese (S) these originally came from BC and bolted too early this year but I’m giving them another year . They have a very thin stalk and head so they take up less space.
- Note : I usually buy my broccoli, cauliflower and corn at the Indian Garden Farm Market, Bridgewater in bulk. I find for my space and our climate, this is not worth me growing myself. Maybe when I’m older 😉
- Early Copenhagen (HS), Chinese (V), All Season Blend (V), Kilmaro (V)
- Storage- Balero (V)
- Scarlet Nantes (RS)
- Chantenay (HS)
- Variety-Rainbow , Napoli
- Manpukiyi – this is a long Japanese carrot we are growing purely for fun and competition in 4H
- Lemon (HS), Straight 8 (HS), Marketmore (V)
- Grown for seed not for the bulb (S)
- Planted in the fall (soft neck saved from last year, hard neck purchased from Sissiboo Organics )
- These self seed for me every year.
- Casper (BC), Blue Curled Scotch (V)
- Tatsoi (BC), Crawford Estates (R), Black Seeded Simpson , Buttercrunch, Arugula (all from BC), Yucaipa (V)
- Lancelot (v)
- Seeds- Oneida (V), Alisa Craig (BC)
- Sets – red storage , yellow storage
- Harris (V)
- King tut Purple, Homesteader (both R), Oregon Sugar (V), sugar snap (HS)
- New Ace ,sensation , purple star, Carmen (V)
- Early jalapeño (V)
- Seed- Yukon, red chieftain, russet , purple (from Mackenzies and saved from our potatoes this year)
- Rocket, White New Moon, Racer (Saved) Giant (V)
Radishes (we do not really like radishes, so don’t listen to us on this pick)
- Rover (V)
- York (V)
- Bloomsdale (R) , seaside (V)
- Midnight (Saved), Costata Romanesco (R) , Onyx (V)
- Waltham Buttercup (saved ), Burgess (V), Variety pack (V)
- Indeterminate-Manitoba, Italian Heirloom (R), Amish Paste, BlackBeauty (BC) Cherokee Purple, San Marzano (seed savers international , I think I got this at Home Depot ?)
- Determinate – Scotia (V), Mountain Merit (V)
- Cherry – Sungold (V), Chadwick ,Purple Bumblebee (R)
I have to admit I had a nagging feeling I had forgotten a seed order I had made and sure enough I did. My Yonder Hill order will be here shortly as I just received notice it shipped from the Valley where they are located. Here’s my order from them:
Pickling Cucumber, Peradovic Oilseed Sunflower Ice Queen Lettuce, Jalapeno Pepper, Golden Zucchini, Sweet Basil and some French Shallot
And as hopeless as I am about remaining firm when I see all the seeds in stores, it’s inevitable I will pick up a few packs here and there. I have no doubt I have an addiction to seeds but it’s cheaper than most addictions and actually produces amazing food so we will just leave that right there.
Hey I almost forgot ! There is a YouTube video we did to accompany this blog post , it’s pretty fun to watch I think . My 14 year old shot it for me and he did a great job ! Click hereTo view the video.
Love, Jenn xx
You must log in to post a comment.