I am so pleased to share this recipe I have making for quite a few years now. It is a beautiful gift to give or serve at the holidays. You can also substitute dried cherries in this recipe as well. But I grew up with the maraschino cherry version. And to honour that tradition, I make this once a year.
The last few years I shared this recipe with the group of ladies I gather together at Christmas to make homemade gifts. It always brings me pleasure to see everyone delight in the festiveness, beauty and sheer deliciousness of the recipe.
I hope you enjoy it as well.
Love, Jenn xx
Farmhouse Christmas Cherry Almond Bundt Cake
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped and drained
- 1/2 cup blanched slivered almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup butter
- 1 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
For the Glaze
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 Tbsp Amaretto or Almond Extract
- Have all the ingredients at room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 350. Prepare bundt pans. Butter and flour either one large bundt cake pan , and a 6 mini bundt cake pan. Tap out excess flour.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Take 1 1/4 TBSP of the flour mixture in a small bowl and add chopped cherries, and almonds and toss. Set aside.
- In the mixer bowl with the paddle attachment, beat butter on low speed for 2 minutes. Add sugar, and beat until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Add eggs and the vanilla,scraping down the sides of the bowl occasionally.
- Reduce the speed to low and add flour mixture and the milk alternately, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold in 3/4 of the floured almond-cherry mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared bundt pan. Sprinkle the other 1/4 of the floured cherry almonds on top. Spread the batter a little higher on the sides using the spatula, leaving it a bit lower near the centre of the pan.
- Bake for 55 minutes for a large bundt pan, 23 minutes for the small bundt cake pans.Cool in the pans for 15 minutes.
For the Glaze
- While cakes are cooling in the pan, make the glaze. In a small saucepan, bring water and sugar to a boil. If you are adding Amaretto, or extract add it now.
- Tap the pans, and using a cooling rack, invert the bundt pan upside down with it. On a baking sheet, turn all the cakes up so the bundt pattern is on the bottom. Using a wooden skewer, poke holes all over the top of the cakes. Spoon the glaze all over the top of the cakes and repeat until gone.
- Let cool and serve with a dusting of powdered sugar.