This quickly became a family favourite. Nourishing, creamy and packed with color- it got rave reviews here. It’s also a great way to use what’s in season right now ,spinach, and what was preserved from last season, sun dried tomatoes.
Sun-dried Tomato, Spinach and Sausage Orzo
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1/2 onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup sun-dried or dehydrated tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 lb dried orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach, chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp dried basil
- Put dehydrated/sundried tomatoes in hot water to reconstitute.
- In a preheated cast iron pan, brown the sausage for about 7 minutes on medium. Add the onions, garlic, oregano and thyme and cook another 3 min.
- Drain tomatoes and chop roughly. Add to pan and cook another 2 minutes.
- Pour in the broth and add the dijon, then bring to a boil.
- Add the orzo and simmer for 5 minutes. Mix in the spinach, add the cream, basil and parmesan.
- Stir until creamy, then remove from heat. Enjoy!